Get your Zumba on!
Zumba is the talk of Brighton and Hove thanks to Freedom Leisure, and now there’s never been a better time to get involved yourself
Zumba is one of the hottest ways for Brighton residents to stay in shape. Billed as a ‘fitness dance party’ Zumba classes are popping up across Brighton and they’re not just for adults either, there is Zumbatonic for kids, Teen Zumba and Family Zumba too.
‘Simple moves and the exciting Latin music really set Zumba apart from traditional dance or aerobics classes,’ says Leanne Beadle, Zumba Instructor at Freedom Leisure. ‘Classes are designed to be fun rather than a mass of complicated steps and routines, so anyone of any age can give it a go!’
Zumba is a great CV workout which means it works your heart and lungs and improves your fitness. It will also improve agility and strengthen your legs, hips, bottom and thighs. Zumba allows you to burn serious calories without registering how hard you are working. ‘You can burn anything from 300-1000 calories in a typical Zumba class!’ says Leanne.
Different rhythmic beats are used to control the tempo of your workout so you work at high intensity periods followed by lower intensity periods, much like you would with interval training.
Leanne’s Top Tips for Zumba Fans:
- Get familiar with the moves by practicing them at home or even on the dancefloor when you’re on a night out! You’ll be able to put more energy into your workout if you feel confident performing the basic steps.
- Develop your hip movements as this will work your waistline and other areas more effectively.
- Make your movements as big as possible to up the calorie burn of your workout.
- Keep your abs tight and think about your posture throughout the class, even when you’re starting to feel tired. You’ll not only get an abs workout but you’ll be more agile and light on your feet too.
- Go with the flow and don’t be shy – let go and have fun!
Freedom Leisure hold daytime and evening Zumba classes for all ages at Leisure Centres in Brighton. Find out more at www.freedom-leisure.co.uk